Wednesday, March 31, 2010

How it all started...

One day back in April 2008 I came up with an idea for a short musical based on my life.
I did it for Layle Chambers' Theatre 101 class.
It was fairly well received, but I wish I knew then what I know now.
After the performance, Layle had asked me if I would like to expand my story.

Fast-forward 6 months...

The idea was locked, we were going to make "Crazy Little Thing" into a fully fledged one act play.

Fast-forward 4 months...

We were one week away from casting the play.
The only downside, I still had not written a script!!!
Everyone was believing strictly by faith that I would have it finished.
So I locked myself in my room, only leaving to eat, and wrote the entire musical.

I finally had my script!
I brought it in on the day we were doing auditions.
Here's the funny thing...
At that time I had committed to just being a playwright.
Not an actor, not a musician, just a writer.
But despite my reservations, I auditioned anyway.
I landed the lead role, not because I wrote it, not because I had a friend, but because of my talent.
That was the first time I seriously considered being a professional actor.

Fast-forward 2 months...

We were ready to perform on April 16th, 17th, & 18th 2009.
One year after "CLT" had originally performed for a class project.
We spent $75 on supplies for the production.
we had an asking of $5 suggested donation ticket price.

Our first night we had about 130-150 people come and see the show.
Our second night we had about 50-60 people.
Our last night we had about 40-50 people.

We made almost triple our money back!!!

I was absolutely floored.
Not only did I not originally think it would be that big (especially for a student play), but everyone loved it!

I will go into further detail on each night in subsequent posts.
But until then, here's the info.

Director - Teddy Aspen-Sanchez
Producer - Layle Chambers
Stage Manager - Ann Richards
Writer/Composer/"Jake" - Trevor L. Cooper
"Bella" - Maddison Rodriguez
"Steve" - Anthony Pacheco
"Coraline" - Alethea Orozco
Musician - Greer Goetz
Grip - Mariah Kyte-Write
Sound - Phil Dombrowski

Thank you if you went to see the show, bought the DVD, or finished reading this entire post!

Te amo con todo mi corazon,
-Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment